Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

Mirror mirror on the wall

I bought these great mirrors at an auction. Using my highly refined detective skills, I read the sticker on the back,  I  discovered these mirrors were originally made locally for a local motel. The motel was now having a refit and the mirrors were being replaced.

These mirrors are huge and extremely heavy. I must say the local joinery company does not skimp on materials and I certainly could not lift one on my own. This made it slow work to jazz up and also creates the problem of how I am going to hang them. In the house I rent there are no suitable hooks. But that is a problem for another day. For now I have to focus on painting them.

The first one was sanded back and my Mum spent ages taping around the edge to protect the glass from being scratched. It is hard to tape a circular surface. Here is Mum cleaning the dust off after sanding.
The mirror is so big it covers the entire surface of this outdoor table. After sanding, the mirror was painted with primer, 3 coats of top coat and then several coats of polyurethane.

Now for a finished shot.



Mirror mirror on the wall,
I really hope that you don't fall.
You are massive and weigh a ton,
and being squished wouldn't be fun.

That is one mirror sorted. Now to decide on what colour to paint my other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment