Pages

Thursday 2 January 2014

Sewing/Craft - Using up fabric scraps on skirts and headbands

I love fabrics and have bought a heap over the years. These fabrics tend to sit in piles looking pretty waiting for the day when I learn to sew. Getting out to sewing classes is hard as a single mum with little kids but recently I have found a great alternative. It is an online site with craft lessons. It is called Craftsy.com and this site has fantastic courses on sewing, quilting, cooking, gardening, etc. There are some free courses but most you pay to access. I have done quite a few courses now and they are great value for money. If you sign up to their newsletters there are often sales on different courses. I recently bought a few courses when they were on sale so over the next few months I will watch those and make new projects. You can watch each course over and over again too.

Today I wanted to share some skirts I have made from the Project Upcycle course. In the course the Instructor uses old pillow cases for her wrap skirt whereas I have used fabric scraps from my stash pile. I made a Christmas themed wrap skirt and a fun summer skirt.
 Here are all the panels. I know it needs an iron but my iron died very suddenly.
 Here is my bright summer one.



 I think these skirts will be great for the hot summer days we are having. I plan to buy some plain singlet tops to go with them. I then wanted to make some headbands with the fabric scraps. I googled for a template for headbands and then made these. I plan to make a few more of these as they are very quick to make.
Next I plan on watching the photograph course so I can improve the quality of my photos. Let's face it, my photos look very basic. I have a new camera and need to read the inch thick manual to work out what all the buttons mean as well. It is one of my goals for the year to master my camera. That is when I am not sewing, cooking, painting, cleaning, and being Supermum.



2 comments:

  1. Love your fabrics, next step quilting :-) If you decide to get into this side of things, have a look at YouTube - Missouri Star Quilt Co - they make quilting easy and quick, Jenny is a short cut queen. Easy to follow - I have made quite a few block from their tutorials.
    Hugs
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I am doing some quilting projects soon. I'm just going to start small and do a table runner.

      Delete